To gain ground on the market leader, and in a sea of political correctness, Cougar Bourbon needed to re-assert itself as the bourbon for the blokey Aussie guy.
The world has gone a little mad, and Cougar believes that there’s nothing wrong with being a masculine, straight up bloke. So Cougar needed to remind guys it’s still ok to be blokey..in fact, it’s what the brand celebrates. Cougar is all about the funny, honest, down to earth blokes, the lovable rogues.
We needed to remind suburban blokes of Australia what Cougar stood for – being ‘Straight up’. Telling it like it is. Making fun of the world gone mad, and just keeping it simple and straight up. We needed to make the Aussie bloke feel something for Cougar. Believe in the ‘Straight up’ proposition, because the product sure delivered it – being voted 95 out of 100 for bourbon credentials, beating Jack and Jim.
The Cougar man is just like another kind of man – the Triple M man – he’s also lovable larrikin too who just loves Rock, sport, & comedy. And Triple M’s content is straight up, it’s purpose built for the straight up Man. Triple M talks no bullsh*it, and gives it to you straight. Just like Cougar.
We needed to engage & rally our straight up blokes on Triple M, and remind them that Cougar bourbon was made just for them, and it’s just like them. And what better way to do it than through conversation. We wanted to give men the opportunity to tell it like it is – tell us their opinions on things, straight up.
So we created the Cougar Bourbon ‘Straight up Bloke’ survey. A national survey of blokes to really find out what it’s really like to be a bloke in 2015. We’d find out about him, his mates, and what he really thinks. Straight up talk about men, by men, for men. We’d cover the real topics – Do you ever cry in public ever? Do you believe in god? And how many times a week do you really have sex?
The results would be released and discussed around the Triple M network with a dedicated segment in the national drive show, Merrick & Australia. Merrick would discuss the findings with an expert each week across the campaign.
We had a dedicated blokes hub – which was updated weekly with a podcast segment from Merrick’s show.
We also seeded ‘straight up bloke’ facts during the Triple M work day, directing guys to see more about the bloke study online. And Saturday nights would become re-branded ‘Suburban & Coke’ – with Cougar bringing Saturday night’s tunes, along with some bloke facts to our audience.
And the bloke study created unique facts we didn’t know about Aussie guys, which were represented in articles and blog posts that lived on Triple M online webpages, and amplified with the station social pages.
So what did we find out? That Aussie blokes are more afraid of their missus than their mother in law. And week 2 uncovered that 1in6 guys would consider having plastic surgery…Turns out guys do get into man-scaping and they’re in support of same sex marriage. The modern bloke is more unique than ever before.. and Cougar helped our guys start a straight-up conversation. Just like Cougar Bourbon is straight up.
• 2,588 men participated in the Straight-up bloke study
• The Cougar Bourbon Bloke survey campaign reached over 630,000 Men on-air
• Social posts with ‘Straight up bloke’ study findings reached 267,000 people, and the final post of the campaign reached over 210,000 people
• The ‘Bloke study’ digital page and the digital editorial articles across Triple M network delivered over 6,000 unique page views
• Bloke study digital ads on Triple M desktop and Mobile delivered over 900,000 impressions
• Following the campaign 68% of guys could recall one element of the campaign, and Cougar was the #1 brand that respondents associated with Merrick & Australia *
• Unprompted, 29% of guys recalled the ‘Bloke study segment’ on Merrick & Australia, and more than half enjoyed the segment, and 32% associated the Cougar brand with the segment*
• Cougar was the leading brand to be known for 95/100 credentials *
• Cougar being known as Honest, Straight talking and Straight up was up 200% after the campaign amongst Men exposed to the campaign. *
• 48% of respondents did something as a result of the campaign, most considering Cougar in the future. *
*Source: SCA campaign effectiveness study, 2016. N=534
"“The Triple M Cougar Bourbon Blokes Study was a fantastic partnership that helped to understand what is important to modern Australian men. From a brand perspective, we improved the reach and awareness of the Cougar brand with our “heartland” consumers which helped to realise an increased share for Cougar spirits & RTDs over the period of the Blokes Study and, importantly, beyond it.”"
- Dean Robinson, General Mgr, Spirits & RTD, CUB